Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The South Wall

The South wall is going to be a wall with as many windows as possible.  I started  by laying out the windows and getting a feel for where things would line up.  It turns out 5 of my windows fits about as snugly as I could hope for.  Because the windows are greater than 16" wide, I'll have to use a header.  I used two 2x6 with a strip of 1/2 plywood in between them.  I then doubled up the studs between each window.  A professional would probably have an issue with how this was executed, but I think it will work fine.

After adding the doubled studs, I added a horizontal lower and upper plate for fastening the window frame to.  I then added short studs in the portions of the wall not occupied by windows to maintain my 16" on center studs to fasten the plywood siding to.  

South wall with the header.
2x6 header with West end king and jack stud (the king has a screw in it).  It looks like there is plywood between the king and jack studs, but its just some defects in the 2x4 studs.
I made a spacer block to set the stud spacing exactly to fit the windows.
Showing more or less how the window will sit in the opening.



The South wall, stood up, with some of the short joists added in.  I'll do the same thing to the top.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home