Monday, March 21, 2011

Tying the Skids Together


If I didn't tie the skids together with angled bracing, they would tend to rack out of alignment when we tried to move the coop.  By using two members at opposing angles, I can keep the skids in place relative to each other.  Is it is now, the skid on the left could pivot around the two board easily, but I'll remedy that when I add the floor joists.  The skids were spaced so they were 6' from outside edge to outside edge.  That will give me a 1' overhand on each side and keep the unsupported span of the floor joists to a minimum. 

Originally I used a single 3/8x5" galvanized lag screw in each of of the 2x6 crossmembers, but I upped that to a 3/8x8" lag.  I was afraid the 5" lags just didn't have the holding capacity.

Skids with 2x6 crossmembers.


Later I decided to replace the shorter lag screws on each ends of the crossmembers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home